Monday, March 23, 2009

AK Rando Rides to the End-of-the-Road


We're droppin' anchor in Homer next weekend folks, merely one week after SIR's 200K opener. I just can't resist those soft ocean breezes down there this time of year, when we're still surrounded by snow here in Anchorage.

Our intrepid Homer-based randonneurs pre-rode most of the 200K course last weekend and report that, "It's all doable, even without studs." How's that for optimism? Pat, Joe, and Derek all went beyond the call of duty to keep me abreast of the course conditions, and they did an excellent job, with photos and all! I'm really grateful for their support. Its stuff like that that makes randonneuring work up here.

So, expect some ice on some of the road shoulders (it's still March in Alaska), but for the most part, nothing you can't ride around.

Looming large, though, isn't the question of "To stud, or not to stud?" (By-the-way, I recommend you wear 'em if you got 'em!) Rather, it's Mt. Redoubt. Currently the winds are favorable, blowing ash to the north and leaving Homer ash free. We're keeping a close eye on the situation, and will let you know if anything changes.

Before you show up to the start of the inaugural End-of-the-Road 200K brevet, next Saturday, at Two Sisters in Homer, be sure to review the ride details, the rider expectations, and the regulations. It's important stuff, and you've got to know it if you're going to ride any of the brevets.

Also, this is a great ride to test bags, lights, food, gear, etc. out on before you get on those longer rides. Take advantage of it.

Shoot me an e-mail if you have any questions.

See you at the beach!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I got a road report from my father-in-law, who lives in the beautiful village of Clam Gulch. He reports ZERO ash fall! He also says the roads are dry. What more could you ask for? I look forward to 200, stud free, kilometers. It is funny to think that my first road ride of the year will be 200K.
I love the name of the ride: "End of the Road." When I did my long ride after ending my teaching career, I called it: "The End of the Road for Cancer." I still believe that goal is in sight. We'll all celebrate the end of cancer some day. I'd be happy to celebrate at Salty Dawg.